Georg Christoph Grooth was born in Stuttgart, Germany, and was trained
in Dresden. In 1741 he came to the Russian Empire, first he settled in
Revel (now Tallin, Lithuania). In 1743, Georg Grooth and Lucas Conrad Pfandzelt,
also a German painter, were invited by Empress Elizaveta Petrovna to supervise
and restore the Royal painting collections in St. Petersburg. Like other
foreign painters in Russia, Grooth had Russian pupils and among them was
Ivan Argunov (1729-1802), a talented painter. With Grooth, Argunov worked
on the decoration of the court church at Tsarskoye Selo (now Pushkin).
Georg Grooth died in St. Petersburg in 1749.
Paintings of the 18th-early 20th centuries from the Reserves of the
Russian Museum. by K. Mikhailova and G. Smirnov. Leningrad. 1982.